6 Characters in Search of an Author
July 26-29 @ 5pm
Who/Where: Mississippi Repertory Theatre located at 404 Taylor Street Corinth, MS 38834; 719-314-9819; firstname.lastname@example.org
What/When: Mississippi Repertory Theatre will hold OPEN AUDITIONS for the production of 6 Characters in Search of an Author written by Luigi Pirandello. This timeless classic includes 6 male roles, 6 female roles and 8 roles for either gender. Auditions will be July 26th and July 27th at 5:00 pm. All roles in the company are paid and require a signed contract with the company.
Actors should be prepared with a one-minute monologue. We will be taking headshots and full-body shots for each auditionee, and the audition will be taped.
*** Resumes are not expected, however, if you have one, please bring it!
Description: Winner of the Nobel Prize in 1934, 6 Characters in Search of an Author concerns six living characters-family members embroiled in their own human drama- who come to a theater and demand the manager and his actors stage life story. Filled with both humor and despair, the piece explores the fundamentally absurd and tragic nature of the human condition.
- The Father (40-60): a fattish man in his fifties with thin, reddish hair and blue eyes
- The Stepdaughter (18-25): dashing, impudent, and beautiful; speaks and sings in French.
- The Mother (40-60): the consummate figure of grief
- The Son (25-30): a tall, severe man, often humiliated by the other characters.
- The Manager (30+): largely a comic figure who agrees to play the role of the characters author.
- The Boy (14): timid and wretched.
- The Child (4): the fallen innocent that does not speak.
- Madame Pace (40s): The Stepdaughters exploitative Madame.
- Leading Lady (18-25): stereotypical star of the stage. Plays the role of the Stepdaughter for Company.
- Leading Man (40-60): another haughty actor. Plays the role of the Father for the Company
- Second Lady (40-60): Plays the role of the Mother for the Company.
- Juvenile Lead (25-30): Plays the role of the Son for the Company.
- Prompter (any): ever present member of the Crew who holds the book and records the Characters Drama.
- Actors and Actresses of the Company (any): 6 nonspeaking but ever present adults of any age.
- Must be able to memorize lines.
- Must be available for evening rehearsals. A full rehearsal and performance schedule will be available at auditions.